Learn How to Apply for the Canada Greener Homes Grant
You can receive up to a $5000 grant and $40k interest-free loan from the Federal Government for your solar power system installation! You’re eligible for this grant when you install a system with a minimum of 5kW of solar power.
Not sure how many solar panels are required? Checkout our Saskatchewan Solar Guide to learn more about sizing your system.
If you don’t have the time or energy to read, we’re here to make it easy. Call us directly or book a free consultation through our website. For more info on the Canada Greener Homes Grant
Below, we’ve put together a quick guide on how to start your Canada Greener Homes application and what to expect during the process.
1) Get a free quote for Solar Panels – Click here for a free estimate!
2) Create an account on the Canada Greener Homes website for the Grant.
3) Complete an Energy Audit on your Home – visit the Federal Directory of Approved Audit Providers and find a provider near you. Do note that up to $600 of expenses related to performing an energy audit will be reimbursed to you via a rebate.
4) Return to the Canada Greener Homes Portal and submit your application for the Interest-Free Loan.
Log in to your Canada Greener Homes Grant account and click on the button to access the loan portal. To submit your application, you will have to upload documentation to the loan portal, such as:
- your property tax statement
- your driver’s license or other government-issued ID together with a utility bill
- confirmation of income and employment (for example, a job letter or a T4 slip)
- your quotes from contractors
Based on your application, the program will calculate the maximum loan amount you are approved for. To activate your loan offer, you will be asked to carefully review the information and accept the Loan Agreement.
Please note: a portion of the loan can be delivered to you up front in order to pay applicable down payments to contractors. The balance of the loan will be delivered upon successful completion of the retrofits, and verification through a post-retrofit evaluation.
You can access a portion* of your loan funds in advance to pay for upfront costs, such as paying a deposit to your contractor. You can request the advance on your loan during your application by demonstrating that an upfront payment is required. You can do that by uploading the quotes you received from contractors and by entering the deposit amounts required to do the retrofit.
* Up to a maximum of 15% of the eligible cost of retrofits requiring an upfront payment. This amount is increased to 25% if your property is located in the North or off-grid.
Complete your Solar Panel Installation
Prairie Sun Solar will provide you with a turn-key solar panel installation. This will include electrical permits, SaskPower Netmetering application, as well as the supply and installation of the solar panels and electrical by our in-house journeyperson electricians.
Complete Post-Installation Energy Audit
Once the retrofits are complete, contact your service organization to request a Post-Retrofit EnerGuide evaluation. An energy advisor will evaluate the impact of your improvements and provide you with an updated EnerGuide label and a new report that estimates how much you can receive for your grants.
Receive Funding for the Loan
The energy advisor will update the information related to your final evaluation in the grant portal including the estimates of your final grant amount. You will also have to upload all your final invoices/receipts to the grant portal and receipts for the retrofits to the loan portal. The loan amount will be reviewed again based on the actual cost of the completed retrofits, less the recommended grant amount.
- If the actual costs of the completed retrofits are lower than the initial cost estimates, it will be adjusted downwards.
- If the actual costs are higher than the initial cost estimate, it will not increase.
The final approved loan amount will be deposited into your bank account (less the initial advance, if you received one) within 10 days.
you may require any clarification, please don’t hesitate to call our team as we are happy to help our customers navigate through the entire process.
Thanks for considering Prairie Sun Solar for your solar power needs!