You are here:Home1/FAQ2/What Style of Roof Or Surface Is best For Installing Solar Panels?
Roofing Pro‘s & Con’s
As a Red Seal Journeyman Roofer, I’ve have been in the roofing industry for about 15 years.
In my opinion shingles, rubber roofing and metal are all great candidates for solar panels and I will try and give you the pros and cons of each.
– Lowest Cost Roof, on average this roofing system will run between 2-3 dollars per sqft to remove and install.
– Newer Architectural shingles have a lifespan between 25-35 years and 90% of customers have this roofing system when we install solar panels. We have roof flashings that are designed to work seamlessly with shingle roofs
– Shortest lifespan of any roof system
– Susceptible to hail & wind damage
Rubber Roofing(Assuming Euroshield)
– Hail Proof
– Lifetime Roof Expectancy(I would expect 40-50 years out of this roof)
– Price, it is one of the most expensive roofing systems ranging from $6-$12 per sqft to supply and install
– Solar Panel flashings should be installed at the same time the roof is being installed as it is more difficult to install after the roof has been installed as each row of rubber clips to the row below
Standing Seam Metal Roofing(Best Roof)
– A standing seam metal roof is the best system because there is 0 holes that will be in your roof. We have special metal solar clips that clamp onto the metal ribs without creating holes.
– Medium price range of $5-$8 per sqft
– Very Long lifespan of 50+ years
– If you have a complicated roof it can be more difficult to install and cost goes up
– There is not very many companies in the city that do these type of roofs
Companies that I would recommend for installation in the city: